Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Any advice for a new African Grey owner?

I recently adopted my uncle's African Grey, BaeBae. My uncle has lung cancer and can't take care of him any longer. I'm a huge animal person, so I'm loving having this new guy around! I've never had a bird though... so I'm hoping someone on here could give me a few tips.





I think because of the change he's a little stressed. He's plucked out a bunch of feathers. I read that if you give them showers it helps. I gave him one yesterday, which he seemed to enjoy, but he's still pulcking. Anyone know of a way to help him out?Any advice for a new African Grey owner?
It is wonderful that you are caring for him. Right now he is plucking to relieve the stress he feels about losing his companion/home, and moving to a new one.





Just show him that he can trust you - clean food and water daily, clean cage, toys to play with and most of all your companionship. Just sitting in the same room and talking to him can help relieve some of it. My Greys and I enjoy watching Food Network together.





There are great books and websites that can offer more advice. They are my Parrot Bibles.Any advice for a new African Grey owner?
I didn't get to respond in time - I have a African grey: You need to feed him fruits and veggies - DAILY. Frozen veggies are fine - just heat up. Oatmeal, grains, whole grain sugar free cereal - just remember that seeds should be smallest part of his diet

Report Abuse



he is plucking his feathers out of stress and bieng bored they need a lot of attention they are very people oriented and alot like small children


if he keeps plucking his feathers take him to a vet who is familiar with birds because he will pluck all of them out and look like a chicken.

Report Abuse



He probable is very stressed out and sad. African Greys are very sensitive and he is probable missing your uncle. Make sure he has lots of toys to keep him busy and active. Baths should help if his skin is dry. Just show him lots of love and attention and you will be rewarded. It may take some time but it is so worth it. Also you can take him to the vet and have him examined, sometime when they pick it is because they are sick, they can also give him a shot that lasts a month and it relaxes them and they won't pick. Good luck! They are great!
I think all the above is right! My parrot was plucking her feathers a while back.......mostly her wing feathers, I took to her to an avarian vet, she had swollowed a little piece of metal, I am not saying that is the case with your bird, but if the plucking persists I would have him checked out by a vet, just in case.


One typ the vet gave me...let the bird be near when you are having your meals. let it him have some titbits from you while you are eating, this is supposed to make them feel more part of the family. Good luck
I am glad to know that your Uncle's companion is getting a great home. The stress will eventually even out. The bird is mourning the loss of his friend, Toys are always needed for birds. I like to buy baby toys, some of the teething things are great for birds to chew on. I also have the ';chains'; hanging from the top of my conure's cage, and he loves to play with them. Good luck with your new friend. Sounds like BaeBae will have a great place to live.
you just have to try help minimilise the stress. Does your uncle have anything that he use to give to the bird like a blanket or a specific toy? your bird will de-stress if he has familiar things and smells around him. Make sure that the bird is in a comfortable place away from loud noises such as washing machines etc. and away from other pets, sunlight, direct heat and away from other people. This will help him settle in and feel more secure in his new environment. It may take a few days for him to stop plucking at himself, ifit carries on for over a week more then i would take him to the vets and get it checked out as it could be self harm. Just make sure that everything is as much the same as it can be. hopes this helps!
hi my advise is that he is stressing because he has had to leave his owner so i would spend as much time as i can with him has he got toys in there with him and does he come out of his cage if not i would get him out and buy some toys for him but spend time with him so he can trust you once he knows you he will be fine just give him time hope this helps and good luck from tracie

No comments:

Post a Comment