Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is some advice you could give a fellow poet on ways find inspiration and new words?

I just wated to hear from other poets on how to further my work and spirit, inspiration, words, editing etc.





Thanking you all in advance for your help...What is some advice you could give a fellow poet on ways find inspiration and new words?
The inclination to respond to this humorously is exceeded only by my great esteem for you and your already inspiring muse. I think that asking yourself and others questions like this is the worst possible thing you could be doing. You are a swan asking the birds around you how to be a goose. You remind me of the centipede who was asked which foot he moved first. As a result, he could no longer walk.


I would be glad to assist you in enlisting the aid of two friends of mine, Mr. Webster and Mr. Roget. But don't worry about inspiration, it's not necessary to push a flowing river.What is some advice you could give a fellow poet on ways find inspiration and new words?
I am not positive I understand your question, but I shall answer it as though I do. What I sometimes do to find objects or feelings or really anything else to put onto my poems, is simply go outside and look at things, think about something that someone has said to you, watch someone and see what they are acting like, try to experience how they are feeling. Also, for words, if you take a dictionary and just flip through until you find a word you have never heard before or have heard but don`t know, see what it means and keep doing that `til you have a list of words you like the sound and meaning of, and write a poem using them. My friend once did that and her poem was amazing! I have never personally tried.
Although I think you already have beautiful words and work, this is what I do.


I usually learn new words by reading....reading anything. If I don't know what a word means I look it up.


As far as inspiration, mine comes through life. Either something I'm going through or something I see. Something I care about or believe.


As far as editing goes I used to be better at it than I am now...lol....sad huh. I went to school for writing, but I learned just as much on my own. There is all kinds of resources out there to help with that. In bookstores and on the web.


Anyway...I love your work.


I love to see others who like to learn and improve themselves, I always try to too.


Hope this helps in some way:)
Dearest, I suggest you consult your nearest dictionary. As for new inspiration, it is the poet's job to get inspired. You are so open already, I do not see the trouble with this. Reach out, fling your energies to the atmosphere, look at everything in a different way...you will find inspiration.
Thinking of a realistic example; What about some thing desperate like a sex tryst or a suppressed sentiment, a lost love, some animated account of a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment