Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Any advice for a new owner of a Min Pin?

I heard they are hard dogs to have for a first time owner. He comes home in 2 weeks and I need advice from real Min Pin owners or people that know these dogs. Thanks!!Any advice for a new owner of a Min Pin?
First of all - They are GREAT dogs! They are very active and love attention and also very easy to train. Chew toys and a ball will keep him entertained and you can also try crate training- works best! Our oldest one is 10 and his nature is sweet and overall a love muffin! We have a female who is laid back now at the age of 3 (before she did run around like crazy!) Great protectors and will bond fast with you and if you do not want him to bark at your friends and family then I suggest that you have them over frequently the first six months! Strangers will set off their protective nature! Hope that helps and if you need any more info...I would be glad to help!Any advice for a new owner of a Min Pin?
good luck i had one and wanted to kill it. not my dog of choice.
I have one %26amp; she's really high-strung. If I were you, I would buy a shock collar for him. It will teach him to obey you %26amp; he'll be a better dog.





Chew toys are vital. They'll chew on things if you're not careful. Keep paper %26amp; books away from them. They'll chew on them.





You also need to give them attention very often. All they really want is to know they're loved. They enjoy to read books with you, watch television, anything. Just to be with you. My dog loves to burrow under blankets %26amp; lie on pillows. So I suggest getting him a doggie bed %26amp; a few blankets. My dog has to sleep with me or else she's a nuisance. Maybe I spoiled her too much...?





Anyway, they are very good dogs %26amp; are really smart. So you have to be careful with what you teach them.





I hope you enjoy your dog! Love him well!
One thing to watch for with min pins is they can easily get overweight so make sure they get plenty of exercise and activity. They are very smart and loving dogs and though they are not great with kids, they love their owners and will protect them if they can. They really think they are big dogs. One thing to also be aware of is they can easily develop congestive heart failure later in life, especially if they are overweight. This is unfortunately what took the lives of my two little girls. There are some min pin organizations out on the web, I would just do a search for them! Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment