Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Any advice for a new substitute teacher?

I remember when I was a kid in school and the kids were awful to a sub teacher. I do not want to be mean, I know most of the kids are good. I do not want to be walked all over and stomped on either. I will be at a school that has kids aged 5 thru 13. (K- 6th grade) Anybody have any good advice?Any advice for a new substitute teacher?
Be str8 with them. If u go in trying to be there friend they will take advantage of it. My has sub for years, so I have heard so many stories and examples from subs.





The best advice that I can give that I have learned is to... lay the foundation of your rules (not to strict but respectable rules if go in like a Dictator... u won't have any success), and when the first kid ';really'; tests you... send them to the office no questions. And then tell the kids, I am not asking much but I wil be respected. Kids know know when another kid is ut of line





This sets a foundation with the class.. that you aren't a push over. Also dont take the job to serious. U are there for a day or week at max... dont feel u have to make them study so hard or be so quiet as if passin the test or there behavior reflects on you


Any advice for a new substitute teacher?
1. Be organized and professional.


2. Expect SOME bad behavior as some kids will want to test you.


3. Be straightforward with them. Let them know you wont stand for any foolishness.


4. Complete the assignments the teacher leaves.


5. Keep good records and notes on their behavior for the teacher when he/she returns.


6. Er on the side of mean. It's better to be too strict than to let them run wild.


7. Understand your role. They don't have to like you, but they do have to listen to you.





Hope this helps. I been teaching 20 years and have seen all types of ';Subs'; come and go. Good Luck.
Yes, go in with a straight face. Do not try to be their friend. It is easier to start off strict then loosen the reigns. Enjoyyourseld and take pride in moulding young minds. I subbed for years while attending law school at night. I loved teaching. Thte kids are so refreshing. The little kids are very helpful and nice (grade 7 and under). Let them be helpers.
I am always like mean to subs...unless they are chill and let us talk during our work...usually when i get to talk and do my work i get it done... just be chill and not up tight...talk about things teens want to hear

No comments:

Post a Comment