Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Does anyone have advice for dealing with a new boyfriend who is bipolar?

He is taking medication, but it's just new to me dealing with the various mood swings.Does anyone have advice for dealing with a new boyfriend who is bipolar?
OK, it's a great start that he's taking his medication, and it's a great sign that you are asking the question - you obvilously care about him.





So I would say to you that the key is in education. There are two Amazon links at the bottom - the first one is to the Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide, and this is absolutely invaluable in coming to terms with bipolar. The second, ';Loving Someone With Bipolar'; my wife and I both found rather cheesy, but YMMV.





It's perfectly possible to have a normal relationship with a bipolar guy. I have been bipolar for 20-25 years, and married for 20. It hasn't always been easy, but we're still together and now I'm on meds that work for me, things are really looking up.Does anyone have advice for dealing with a new boyfriend who is bipolar?
i like the answer about being his friend and being supporitve. getting into a realtionship with someone who has a mental illness may be very stressful, and sometimes dangerous!!!!! before you chose to pursue the relationship, research the illness, and see if you are ready to deal with it. sometimes just being a friend and being supportive is the best for all concerned.
Some of you make me want to smack you...and that has nothing to do with a mood swing. I have Bipolar and I'm about to be married to the man I've been with for 5 years...he knew me before I was diagnosed. You just have to keep in mind that his attitude is subject to change...and there's really nothing you can do sometimes. Personally I go on midnight cleaning sprees sometimes...my fiance just waits until I've burned up some of the manic energy and then tries to get me to come back to bed for awhile. You just have to be understanding and supportive. However if he does get to a place where he needs help, then you shouldn't feel bad if you need to take a step back until he gets a little more under control. I hope you have a wonderful relationship.
RUN RUN RUN RUN!!!!!!! Especially if his mood swings tend to violent or the jealous type. They dont get better they only get worse.
When he has mood swings, just try to talk to him. Although it's unfair for him to get mad at you for no reason, you need to talk to him about it rather than getting mad at him back. I am bipolar, and my boyfriend and I have been together for three years. When I get upset or irrational for no reason, if he just fights back with me, we get into an all out verbal brawl, but if he tells me I'm being irrational, and talks to me calmly about it, it really helps me to understand.





If you fight back with him, it will only fuel his flame, but if you just think to yourself, ';I know, he's bipolar';, and then talk to him calmly, maybe he'll realize how he's acting. And, no, bipolar isn't an excuse to fly off the handle. You need to let him know that also. If he is always having mood swings and always being irrational with you, you need to tell him, ';I know you're bipolar, and that's a big influence on the way you act, but you're _____(his age) years old, you're not a little kid, and you need to take responsibility and not always blame your moods on your bipolar disorder.';





I hope that didn't sound too much like a speech or essay, and I really hope you figure something out. My father and I are both bipolar, and fortunately I have been able to handle it and have a great relationship with a guy that understands what I'm going through.
Encourage him to take the medication that is prescribed for this condition, no matter how he feels at the time. It is a common problem with bipolar sufferers that they take the medicine for a while, start feeling better, and quit taking it. This is something they have to do the rest of their lives.
run as far and fast as u can
change boyfriends
Please, for your own happiness, reconsider how close you can be with someone who has bipolar disease. Believe me, you could be asking to live in hell. Just try to be his friend (not girlfriend) and not get too attached emotionally, and see how he does on his meds for six months or a year. See how he treats other people, and see if he proves that he will take his meds LIKE A MAN, then when he has proven that he is reliable, start dating him seriously. You won't be sorry you waited.
Be supportive. Make him feel like a normal person. Get to know his family incase an emergency comes up. Everyone has mood swings. His can just be a little more frequent and more noticeable. Dont treat him like an outcast for it. Let him know you want to be there for him... no matter what.
You are in for a tough ride, my sister in law was married to a bi-polar man and one time he went off his meds and ended up driving from Los Angeles to Florida just because he felt like it. But, if you are strong and really like this guy, my advice would be to enjoy the up moods and l be compassionate when he is having a bad day. Ask him if there is anything you can do to help and then if he says no, leave him alone, don't push it. Encourage him to stay on his meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment