Thursday, July 29, 2010

I want a new home my husband wants to renovate, any advice?

We have an old farmhouse with 3 additions( not one of them done properly) no heat or plumbing upstairs, needs all new subflooring, drywall insulation, doors, windows...and he thinks we can do it ourselves...anyone out there have the same problem?I want a new home my husband wants to renovate, any advice?
My advice is to figure out what it will cost you in increased taxes, insurance, and payments before you make this decision.





There are men who could and would renovate their own house successfully. I don't know if your husband is one or not. It might be much cheaper to fix the house you have. Does he complete the projects he starts? Does he have understanding or experience with home repair?





Edit:


You don't need to be a contractor to know how to replace drywall, subflooring, or windows. He either does or doesn't have the skills and both of you probably know from experience what he can accomplish.I want a new home my husband wants to renovate, any advice?
Get your home appreciated. Check how much it is worth and the person doing it for you can actually give you some good advice. He or she will let you know if it is a good idea to remodel according to your plans and how much the house will be worth at afterwords or if you are better off selling and buying a new home. Good luck.
Unless he works on This Old House, I'd worry. OK, if he's a knowledgeable contractor in electrical, plumbing, structural engineering, drywall (ok that's not toooo hard), wood working, concrete work, etc.......and YOU are willing to put up with a home remodel that will take 10 years, many arguments, battles, money......have him rethink this.





If you think 10 years is unreasonable......stop and add up the hours you expect a contractor and crew (who know what they are doing) would take, at least triple that for folks who don't know what they are doing, and then apply to free hours you have to work on this per week.





You might save money but only if you know what you are doing, get great bargains on materials (contractor's prices), etc. If you two enjoy this fine, otherwise you'll be looking for a divorce lawyer before the job is done.
I'd be about the last person to argue against remodeling, given what I do for a living and the fact that I'm always (slowly) working on my own house. But in some cases the effort isn't worth it. My first house was like that: Looking back it would have been more efficient just to bulldoze it and start fresh. But I had a lot of time and little money so I did all the work myself. Learned a lot. (My wife says I should have learned more about bulldozers, because it was her first house, too). Anyway, sometimes the home needs far more work than is justified and cost-effective, or the homeowners don't have the budget to hire it out and don't have the skills or the time or the inclination to do it themselves. Maybe you could undertake a modest project that will help you see the potential in your place. Or maybe you could mix hands-on projects with hired-out projects. For example, I know how to roof and I've done it, but life is short (particularly if you fall off a roof) so I gladly pay others to roof my house. That leaves me time to do the stuff I like.





Take at the look at this story of a husband %26amp; wife facing a major remodel. It probably won't solve anything for you but maybe it'll give you some ideas!





http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/鈥?/a>
I used to work for a home developer. New homes can have shitty construction. I had people complaining about major problems not even a year after they bought the homes. ( We are in Florida and this was during Karina and Wilma). Which ever you choose make sure you get an inspector with you in mind.
lol well if he thinks that let him and if he doesnt start: a good old trick is to start a job your self make a complete mess of starting it ,and he will come in thinking he is the best and just take over natural male instincts and all. and finish it as they will tell you you are doing it all wrong.
If you can,do it.


just don't over improve.


The main reason for staying would be the location or something special about the house because there are awesome buys out there. So you could throw some paint on it sell it as fixer upper and buy another.


Good Luck





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>
Buy an another house and have him renovate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment